The trends reputation leaders cited as being the 10 most important for 2020 are:
1. Higher purpose – Companies need to deliver on a corporate brand purpose and embrace cultural values, at an emotional level that transcends the products and services they sell.
2. Data protection – Cyber and data breaches are an everyday reality and a growing threat for all major companies.
3. Responsible investing – Considering ethical and environmental concerns before making financial decisions.
4. Impact of technology – AI, the Internet of Things, Big Data, and drones are impacting consumers and businesses.
5. Climate change – Countries, governments, and businesses are expected to protect and manage their impact on environmental change.
6. Influencers – Stakeholders and individuals who have extraordinary influence on public opinion and reputation, who may be private individuals, politicians, or subject matter experts.
7. Mistrust of big institutions – The public’s mistrust and the questioning of the integrity of big institutions such as businesses, governments, and media.
8. Sustainability and responsible sourcing – There is an expectation that companies source materials responsibly and minimize environmental impact through their supply chain.
9. CEO activism – CEOs of major companies are increasingly taking a public stand on political, social, and values-based issues, and are not just concerned about their bottom lines.
10. Equality, diversity, and inclusiveness – Businesses are judged based on the demographic profile (gender, ethnicity, race, etc.) of their workforce
Sources: All texts, content, quotes and graphics by Reputation Institute. All credits and rights to Reputation Institute.