Quote from UNGC report “Global goals, Ocean Opportunities” foreword by Lise Kingo:
“The rapid deterioration of ocean health, which deeply affects biodiversity, coastal communities and the health of the planet, must be urgently addressed. As this report shows, this deterioration is, like climate change, caused by human activity. We need the capacity and competence of the business community to solve this challenge.
Ensuring a healthy marine environment is not only necessary for many ocean companies to continue to operate in the long-term — innovating and investing in new ocean solutions also provides a significant business opportunity.
Nelson Mandela once famously said, “It always seems impossible until it’s done.”
Achieving the 17 Global Goals by 2030, now just over a decade away, will be no small feat. Some already claim the realization of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development is not just unlikely, but impossible.
But as this report lays out, the ocean can be the key to achieving the Global Goals. In the next decade, we can:
- Improve ocean health by preventing pollution and litter from entering the ocean
- Map the ocean around the world, pioneering innovative research and discovering new insights
- Make healthy food from the ocean available to all
- Provide affordable, clean energy to people everywhere
- Produce low-emission solutions for global maritime transport, facilitating a cleaner, more efficient provider of trade and growth.”
Sources: All texts, content, quotes and graphics by UNGC. All credits and rights to UNGC.